So I have come up to grips with the fact that being the mother of boys is going to be the cause of my early death, due to too many heart attacks!!
Already, in Caleb's 2 1/2 years of life, he has attempted to take his life far too many times for my heart to take. Today is Tuesday. Tuesdays are mom group. Every Tuesday, rain or shine, or intense heat we are somewhere. Gymnastics, Whiskeytown Lake, Jump River, Chuck E Cheese, Barnes.....you name it, we are there (we get around). Today, however, we went swimming at Ariel Funderburg's. Hot day today. Cold pool. It felt amazing. We had a great morning of swimming, eating lunch, and hanging out. Until ALL our worst nightmares come true. We are hanging out at the shallow end of the pool, I am holding Ryder. Amy all of a sudden yells, "Caleb is in the pool!" I look down in the DEEP END and he is fully submerged. I literally throw Ryder into Ariels unexpexting arms and Amy and I are on a full out sprint to the deep end. I end up diving into the shallow end (I don;t know what i was thinking...in fact I wasn't, whatever it took to get me there faster) , Amy and I reach Caleb at the same time. We pull him out. A little bit of water intake. He is fine. Mom is not fine. I thought I was going to throw up. My little man. He is so stinkin precious to me that the sight of him floating in that deep end puts my stomach back in my throat. This is my life. Sean did it to his mom. So I know now its my turn. Ay yi yi. Am I prepared for this? God give me strength!!!
Tuesday, August 12, 2008
Caleb out to kill himself...#, like 58
Posted by Rebecca Gafner at 1:38 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

12 comments:
I don't even know what to say...I'm speechless...(especially as a former lifeguard)...
SO freaky :( Sorry you had to deal with that!
A family member had a similar experience. Family dinner outside and couldn't find the 2 year old and found him floating in the spa. He thought he could swim. So scarry!! (He was ok)
Thank God you found him quickly!
Oh my word Rebecca! Poor little guy takes after his Daddy a little too much! I could not even imagine. And now you have two boys. . .let's just say that my prayers will constantly be with your family- Sounds like you're gonna need it!
This is the exact reason I DIDN'T go to Moms Group this morning. Because I had this nagging feeling that if I had been there, it would have been my precious son floating in the deep end.
Now that he's walking, he's gained a very terrifying confidence. Just today we were playing in the front yard and I looked up after glancing at something for a second. My fourteen-month-old was standing in the middle of the street.
Guess you and I will have to be holding hands through this process of raising boys. God help us!
When I was 2 I rode my big wheel into the deep end of Micah Alberts pool...I swam to the side...I've been swimming ever since...you robbed Caleb of the chance to learn how to swim like a real man...
Heart attack! Yikes. I totally would have died. Poor Rebecca.
My adrenaline was still pumping when I went to bed that night. I am glad I noticed Caleb out of the corner of my eye. I am so happy he is okay.
First, I would punch Sean for that comment; then, I would hug you and pray earnestly that we will all live through these boys! What the heck?! What is it with boys and testing the limits of what they can survive? "Gee, Mom, I lived through another day, what can I get into tomorrow..." Thank God for fast-moving girlfriends.
um yeah... I'm praying for a girl...
oh man, that's like my worst fear. I feel the whole mother's intuition thing every time angelina is near a pool. it terrifies me. I am so sorry you had to experience that!!!
Post a Comment