Yep. We had our first fire in our house last night during Life Group. I am standing in the kitchen serving everyone pumpkin and apple pie when I hear Rachel yell "We need a Fire Extinguisher!!" and then someone else was like, "Glass of water, we need water in the bathroom, FIRE!". I am so slow that I just stand there while everyone jumps up and I slowly get a cup....by then 10 other people had already gotten the cup and water and had it all taken care of.....Fire out. Everyones fine. My bathroom is up in smoke. No, it really wasn' that bad.....I am just an idiot. Back up to 1 hour before Life Group. I am going around decorating fall around the house. Ya know, pumpkins and fall leaves and candles and cute scarecrows, and yes, cinnamon pinecones. Not thinking, I put a bunch of leaves in a glass bowl/candle holder and put the candle in on top of it. It looked really pretty. SO fast forward 1/2 an hour and I am lighting all the candles I just placed around the house.....while talking on the phone. Light the candle in with all the leaves. Fast forward another 2 hours and there is a huge shattering noise. I didn't hear it though. Rachel and Dan go looking in on all the kids wondering where the noise came from and then last place, they look in the bathroom and huge flames.........Yes yes yes, the stinkin candle caught the leaves on fire which made the glass explode.....my freshly painted bathroom is now black....and my toilet is now black and there are little burn spots all over the floor. Ay yi yi. I take it in stride. Ya gotta. What is getting all upset going to do about it? It doesn't change anything....there will still be black on my wall, and toilet and burn spots on the floor.....All I can do is re-paint, cover up the floor and somehow work on the toilet......oh yah, and never put a candle in with a bunch of pretty leaves.........
Wednesday, October 15, 2008
First Fire
Posted by Rebecca Gafner at 10:53 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

7 comments:
Oh my heck! I can't believe that happened. I'm glad it didn't do too much damage. Craziness.
Lesson learned! I'm just glad it wasn't worse. When i read the title of your blog I thought you were talking about the first fire in your fire place - not in your bathroom!
At least you can laugh about it! If not now maybe in 10 years...
you are too funny rebecca.
between pinecones and bathroom fires, I'm enjoying fall less and less by the day...seriously though, I gotta share the blame on this one. I saw you do it and was like "yah, that looks good"...we are equally idiotic...
My sweet Rebecca, you always make me laugh. . . one of the many things I love about you! ;-)
Glad to hear it was caught in time.
Wow, I'm speechless. Remind me to keep you guys away from matches in the summer. :) Oh, wait, you have a pool, never mind, you're good. :)
Post a Comment