I had to go run a couple arrends yesterday. Sean was home with the kids, so i was out alone. I rarely take the kids to things like Jamba Juice, it just ends up being so expensive. So I was out, alone, saw Jamba Juice and pulled in. Spontaneous, I know. So I'm standing in line behind a family of four. I LOVE to people watch. So I'm watching this family. Mom, Dad, and 2 daughters, one daughter probably in Jr. High, the other in early High Schoolish. They were such a sweet looking family. The girls just had a sweet and innocent air to them. The parents seemed happy. But I ended up watching the mom the most. She was beautiful. And not typical outward beauty(which she was), but it was as if I could feel her inward beauty radiating out. I was so enthrawled with them. I watched them all order their drinks and the Jr. High(ish) daughter walk forward to pay for all of them. The mom very sweetly went behind her after she got done paying, put her arm around her, kissed the top of her head and thanked her. Such a simple trasaction, but for some reason spoke volumes to me. I saw a daughter putting her own agenda aside and so generously paying for her and her families Jambas....but what seemed to stand out the most was that moms humility. I saw a strong woman standing in front of me, with 2 strong, selfless daughters...and I envied them.
How do i quietly lead my family? How do I humbly yet firmly discipline my children? How do I train them up in the way they should go? without getting angry, without losing my temper, without yelling all the time, without being an absent mom? How do I know that anything I am doing now is going to have an impact on them down the road? How can I be sure that how I mother isn't screwing them up for the rest of their lives?
Its so silly, but all I want is my Jr. High daughter to someday want to be with her family, and want to buy us all Jamba Juices. Because she WANTS to. Because i've done SOMETHING right.
Because I've been that humble mom.
Sunday, June 20, 2010
Humble Mom
Posted by Rebecca Gafner at 8:20 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
I'm pretty sure your doing a lot of things right! Your an outstanding mom, my kids adore you, as do I.
These are some deep thoughts, ones I've been mulling over as well and that I don't have answers to yet. But as an encouragement to you, I think you are doing a great job and I believe that as we follow and fear the Lord, He will fulfill the many promises He's made in the Psalms regarding the children of the righteous. Love you!
Isn't it rich of God to give us these little moments of insight to remind us what we're REALLY doing, as we invest in the lives of the little ones He's given us?
As you continue to conform yourself to His character, it will have far-reaching effect on your children as well. Love them. Celebrate them. Cheer for them. They are on the same journey we are on- and many times way ahead of us.
Post a Comment